Monday, March 3, 2008

Dynamic Geometry Software Article Reflection

Pitfall: "Visualization always makes easier"

I agree with what Michael de Villiers wrote in this section. Just because the software helps the students to visualize the concepts does not necessarily mean that it makes learning geometry easier. For some students the use of computers could be a major distraction from what they are trying to learn. They get caught up in using the different colors and making things look nice instead of focusing on the geometry that is involved. Also, if students only learn how to do the constructions using the software and do not understand them otherwise, they will not do well when they have to do the same constructions without the use of the software.

If I was teaching geometry, I would first teach my students using traditional "paper and pencil" techniques. I could use software for demonstrations and examples at first. But, I would not allow the students to begin using the software on their own until they had a better grasp on the material. This way it would be used as an extension and verification of what they had already learned.

5 comments:

Terri said...

I agree teaching geometry should not just be through a software program. Some may get caught up in the colors and designs. I also believe that students would be learning the program commands and not the actual geometry of the lesson.

Sam said...

Yes, I am happy that you also believe in paper and pencil method first. Technology is awesome and pwerful tool, but I don't think it should ever fully replace "teaching".

Trina said...

I agree Katie, just because students are using a computer does not necessarily mean that they are learning. I think that sometimes this can be the mentality in schools especially with the technology push. Because of this, schools and teachers need to be sure that the lessons are meaningful and students will actually learn from them- not rely on the fact that students will be using the computer.

Katie N said...

Katie, I agree iwth much of your post. In addition to your thinking that computers may be a distraction to the students, I also think computers may cause more difficulties for the students. Some students are not as comfortable with computers, depending on their accessibility. In addition, their parents may not be comfortable with computers either, which would limit the students' resources.

Jonathan said...

Katie you said, If I was teaching geometry, I would first teach my students using traditional "paper and pencil" techniques. I could use software for demonstrations and examples at first" I agree I think it is good for students to get a general understanding at first, but then the traditional paper and pencil method is necessary for them to get the process down.